Presentation Tips and Guidelines for Speakers/Chairpersons
The template provided features a 16:9 ratio due to having widescreen projectors in all session rooms. As a result, all speakers must format presentations following a 16:9 layout in an effort to make SHARE presentations uniform as well as to ensure you will be able to utilize the full-screen potential. While all session speakers are not required to use the provided template, we do request that all SHARE-wide speakers (SHARE Management Training, SHARE Orientation for First-time Attendees, Open Board, etc.) use this template for presentations. Our hope is that using the template will help to decrease your preparation time. Download the template here.
- Use Arial font. The title slide should include the title of the presentation, the speaker name, the date of the presentation, session number, and any other information you would like to include. Title slides should follow a 40-point title font size and a 30-point font size for all miscellaneous information. Titles on all other slides should use at least the 28-point font size with other text at least 14-point.
- A footer is provided on every slide that we do not recommend altering. If you wish to add additional content to the footer (i.e., copyright information, session number), we suggest doing so by inserting a text box between the event logo and standard copyright detail.
- Use the current slide template layouts, or feel free to insert your own layout style.
- In testing, if you are trying to import from a previous event template or alternate (non-SHARE) template, you may encounter some styling issues if the slides within the master are not identically named template to template. This is a common issue with PowerPoint and given that previous event templates were tied to those specific events – we could see this occur with this event – but with the development of this new template this will not be as much of an issue for future events now that the template is evergreen. One example, if you are importing from one template to the SHARE evergreen template, in some instances it may carry other the look of the previous template, so some adjustment may be needed.
- Selecting a layout from the master by right-clicking on the slide or resetting the slide after a direct import should help pick up the correct format.
- Items that are not part of the template (manually added text boxes, graphics, etc.) will not import seamlessly and some adjustment may be needed.
- Step 1 – Find and Fix Images to Prevent Stretching*
- On the first slide with an image, right-click on the image and select "Size and Position"; within "Size" under "Scale" make sure the box next to "Lock aspect ratio" is checked; adjust the height and width under "Size and rotate" using the up and down arrows until you have achieved the desired result.
- Do this for all remaining images to prevent stretching.
- Step 2 – Switch Template Setup from 4:3 to 16:9
- Go to "Design" then "Page Setup"; under "Slides sized for" choose "On-screen Show (16:9)," select "OK" to close.
- Note: Custom art created using text boxes and shapes will most likely not transfer well. In these cases, we recommend recreating for the new format.
- Step 3 – Apply New Theme
- Go to "Design" and select the second down arrow to the right of the theme box; at the bottom of the pop-up, choose "Browse for Themes"; find the .POTX template on your desktop and select "Apply."
- Note: If your current presentation has a theme applied, you will need to go to "View" then "Slide Master" to remove extraneous themes.
*When switching from 4:3 to 16:9, images become distorted if you copy and paste so we recommend against this. If you choose to attempt to copy and paste, we suggest that you group all items from the slide before transferring for a better result.
If you have any issues or questions regarding the use of the template, please contact us at speakers@SHARE.org.
SHARE reminds all speakers to properly use trademarks and intellectual property. Specifically, SHARE recommends that all trademarks be presented in capital letters and that they are used as adjectives, and not as nouns, verbs or generic names.
SHARE also recommends using the appropriate designation in connection with registered (®) and unregistered (™) marks, with an acknowledgment of the owner. In addition, SHARE advises that any use of the intellectual property of a third party must comply with applicable federal and state laws.
In order to provide our members with information regarding non-IBM products, we have made provisions to allow vendor presentations at SHARE. To provide this information in an orderly fashion and in a manner consistent with the mission and policies of SHARE, click here to view the following guidelines that must be used.
- The session chairperson will read the following statement at the beginning of the session: "This is a Vendor Sponsored Presentation. SHARE management has approved this presentation, based on the recommendation and review by program management. The SHARE Canons of Conduct and Policies will be followed in this session. Specifically, an attendee must not engage in sales activity, including direct or indirect solicitation, or conduct any other activity contrary to the purpose of SHARE. Should there be any indication of a potential violation, I will stop the session."
- The presentation must be technical and specifically NOT sales-oriented. Presentation of prices or other marketing information will not be permitted. If continued, the session will be curtailed.
- Vendor presenters are not to collect business cards from attendees or gather attendee information by any other means.
PLEASE NOTE: The technical program focuses on the interchange of technical information and the discussion of the technical merits of given strategies, architectures, products or services in furthering the SHARE ideals for achieving business results through education, professional connections, and opportunities to influence the IT industry. The incidental discussion of product prices, terms and conditions, and industry comparison does not violate SHARE Policy.